- Bathroom Products
- Building Exterior Materials & Facade Components
- Building Interior Materials & Architectural Elements
- Furniture, Finishings & Accessories
- Hardware & Architectural Metals
- Kitchen Products
- Lumber & Sheet Goods
- Masonry Materials & Accessories
- Misc. Building Materials
- Outdoor Equipment & Materials
- Paints, Coatings, Sealants, Cleaners & Sundries
- PlasterMaterials & Accessories
- Professional Services & Contracting
- Roofing,Guttering & Related Products
- Salvage & Architectural Antiques
- Service Systems
- Technology Systems
- Tools,Craft Materials, Safety Equipment
- Windows,Doors, Millwork
- Other Misc. Products
Old-House Journal Magazine Index
|The Architectural Alchemy of Columns|
The column is the most enduring ornament in American architecture, spanning from colonial Georgian houses to the post-Modern structures of the last century. Our architectural historians explore the many forms of this timeless feature.
When walls throw curves at you, creating mouldings to fit them is impossible without some specialized, time-tested carpentry. We visit an Italianate building in Michigan to learn how it's done.
|Making Sense of Chimney Liners |
Most old-house owners savor the warmth of fireplaces or heating stoves, so they know itís important to routinely inspect and clean a working masonry chimney. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends that chimneys burning solid fuel be inspected yearly and cleaned as often as needed.
|Old-House Living: Restoration Lessons |
When my husband, Todd, and I found our dream fixer-upper house in upstate New York, we had to look beyond the overgrown ivy, layers of peeling paint, and 1950s remuddles to glimpse its potential.
|Plaster Repair Options |
Flat plastering is a time-honored, magical craft, the process of mixing dry powders and water into wet, plastic mortar, then spreading it over entire walls so that it creates a surface that is die-straight and alabaster smooth.